The Russian History Museum (RHM) is seeking a highly organized, responsible and talented part-time Business Manager to provide administrative support and general office management. The Business Manager will be responsible for the efficient and organized day-to-day operations of the museum. The position will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with other RHM staff.
RUSSIAN HISTORY MUSEUM
The Russian History Museum is a dynamic organization with an extraordinary collection of artifacts, archival documents, and published works. The museum promotes the understanding and appreciation of the rich culture and history of Russia and the Russian emigre experience. Located on the grounds of Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY, RHM presents engaging exhibitions and programming to a growing audience. Today, the collection holds approximately 3,000 museum artifacts, 450 linear feet of archival material, and a library of over 48,000 cataloged volumes. In recent years RHM has attracted national and international attention through its popular online educational programs and participation in exhibitions in the U.S., Germany, Russia, and the U.K.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs administrative duties, establishes and maintains office procedures to manage the logistics and smooth daily operations of the Executive Director’s Office and the museum.
- Oversees correspondence, postal and email, and telephone calls
- Fields inquiries and provides timely responses
- Determines what receives the Executive Director’s attention and ensures that appropriate background information is provided
- Acts as liaison between Executive Director, staff, external professional organizations, museum constituency, donors, and general public visitors
- Manages calendars and coordinates logistics for Executive Director
- Helps to manage budgets
- Supports bookkeeping, manages billables and invoices, and provides related reporting
- Communicates with the Financial Manager’s office about accounts and deposits for earned income and donations
- Supports management of donor database
- Enters gifts into the donor database; generates and mails acknowledgements for both financial and in-kind gifts in a timely manner
- Assist with grant research, applications, and administration
- Supports various development initiatives, such as fundraising appeals, and events
- Communications and Marketing
- Manages several public communications streams, including RHM’s social media platforms, email list, and website
- Supports advertising and promotion efforts for museum programming and public awareness campaigns
- Coordinates content development and publishing for RHM’s online platforms
- Manages registration process for RHM’s online educational programming
- Arranges tours
- Museum Shop
- Assists with initial set-up of a museum shop
- Manages the museum shop, including stocking, inventory, ordering products, filling orders, responding to inquiries, and tracking revenue
- Front Desk
- Trains and supervises students and volunteers working at the museum front desk
- Staffs museum front desk on as-needed basis
- Ensures cleanliness and presentability of public areas
- Minimum 2 years of progressively responsible experience; BA preferred
- Experience in a non-profit, educational or arts organization desired
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills and close attention to detail
- Excellent office management skills, experience with establishing administrative systems and procedures and some project management skills
- Ability to perform administrative and clerical support functions independently; knowledge of good grammar, spelling, punctuation, appropriate formats, style, and accuracy in the preparation and review of correspondence
- Tact and confidence in dealing with people in authority; ability to prioritize tasks in order to deliver high quality work against tight deadlines and to work confidentially, sensitively, and diplomatically
- Flexibility, patience, collegiality, and the ability to handle complex situations and tight deadlines with poise
- Must consent to and pass a background check as condition of employment
- Experience in non-profit fundraising, communications, and/or marketing a plus
- Familiarity with Russian history and culture a plus
Long periods of sitting and daily use of a computer. Occasional travel to attend events or perform other job-related duties. Working occasional nights and weekends to assist with promotional events. Ability to lift, carry, and/or move up to forty pounds unassisted. Visual acuity to see and read paper documents; hear conversation and respond to verbal instructions. Manual dexterity for handling documents and objects.
Office and museum, library, and archives located in non-ADA compliant buildings. Hours are flexible and some work may be done remotely.
Part-time – 30 hours per week
$30,000 – $32,000 per year
Send cover letter and resume to Michael Perekrestov, Executive Director: email@example.com. No phone calls please. “Business Manager” should be placed in the subject line. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.