RUSSIAN HISTORY FOUNDATION
The Russian History Foundation (RHF) is a dynamic organization with an extraordinary museum, archival and library collection. The Foundation promotes the understanding and appreciation of the rich culture and history of Russia and the Russian emigre experience. Located on the grounds of Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY, the Foundation operates the Russian History Museum, which presents engaging special exhibitions to a growing audience. Although a small organization at present, the RHF has attracted national and international attention, participating in exhibitions in the U.S., Germany, Russia, and the U.K.
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
The RHF is seeking an energetic, highly motivated and experienced individual with a proven track record to serve as its first Director of Development. The Director of Development will build upon the RHF’s recent successes in fundraising to plan and implement a comprehensive development program. The Director of Development will play a key role in RHF’s capacity building and programmatic growth aimed at sharing our outstanding collections with an increasing audience. The position will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with staff and the Board of Directors Development Committee in managing fundraising initiatives to support increased engagement with the community and becoming a top museum destination in the region.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and implements comprehensive fundraising plan for major gifts, endowment, foundation and government grants, corporate sponsorship, special events, membership, planned giving, and annual fund campaigns.
- Actively cultivates and nurtures donor relationships with current and potential supporters for revenue growth and increased investment.
- Recruits and supports volunteers for purposes of development.
- Oversees the planning and execution of fundraising, member, and donor events.
- Oversees management of the donor database, gift processing and donor acknowledgement, and financial reporting.
- Clearly articulates need for philanthropy and promotes RHF to existing and new audiences to generate interest and support for the organization.
- Increases visibility in community through outreach efforts and partnerships.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in development with proven track record of fundraising success.
- A passion for and understanding of the organization’s mission and the ability to articulate its values and vision internally and externally.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, and an engaging communication style.
- Creative, self-starter attitude and ability to develop and implement creative fundraising strategies.
- Working knowledge of non-profit fundraising best practices, trends, tools and technology.
- Tact and discretion, attention to detail, and a commitment to excellence.
- Excellent time management and flexibility with job duties.
- Ability to recruit, inspire, and manage volunteers for development initiatives.
- Computer skills and knowledge of software and tools such as MS Office, Mailchimp, donor management systems, and social media.
- Knowledge of Russian language, culture and history a plus.
Long periods of sitting and daily use of computer. Occasional travel to meet with prospects and attend events. Working occasional nights, weekends and potentially some holidays. Ability to lift, carry, and/or move up to twenty-five pounds unassisted. Visual acuity to see and read paper documents; hear conversation and respond to verbal instructions.
Office and museum, library, and archives located in non-ADA compliant building. Some work may be conducted outdoors, e.g. fundraising events. Hours are flexible and some work may be done remotely.
Part-time – 30 hours per week
Paid time off, flexible schedule, possibility to work some hours remotely
Send cover letter, resume, and three professional work references to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. “Director of Development” should be placed in the subject line. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Director of Development position at the Russian History Museum is made possible by the New York State Council on the Arts under Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s Regional Economic Development Council Initiative.